2nd Annual Holiday Toy Donation Underway
The Cabin John Citizens Association is partnering with the community of Brookmont and SOME to provide holiday gifts for children in need. To participate, just go to the tree outside of the Clara Barton Community Center and pick one or more of the 57 names that are tied like ornaments to the tree. In addition to the child’s name, the “ornaments” list the age, gender and gift wish list of the child.
Last year Cabin John residents generously donated gifts for 50 children. SOME and the children were so appreciative of our generosity. Because of this year’s need, SOME has asked us to increase the number to gifts for 57 children. SOME (So Others Might Eat) is an interfaith, community-based organization provides food, shelter, education, training and other services to the poor and homeless in Washington D.C. (website: www.some.org)
Here are the details:
- Pick one or more names from the tree.
- Purchase NEW gifts — usually in the price range of $15 – $25. (Any dolls should be African American. Please include batteries if the toy needs them. No guns or other toys of violence. Visa gift cards are great ideas for teenagers.)
- Attach the child’s name to your gift.
- Please do NOT wrap your gift/s. (The parents will wrap the gifts with Earth Presents www.earthpresents.com gift wrap courtesy of Brookmont resident Julie Littell.)
- Bring your unwrapped gift either to the CJCA Holiday party on Dec. 16 or drop it off at Lori Rieckelman’s house anytime before Dec. 17th. The Rieckelmans live at 6423 79th Street. There will be a bin on the porch for gifts.
Questions? Email Lori at email@example.com or call her at 301-320-6299.